The Royal Doulton Pottery company had their principal manufacturing site in Lambeth village for several centuries. John Doulton set up in business on Lambeth High Street in 1815. During the 19th century his firm, and that of James Stiff, gradually bought up most of the ground between the High Street and Fore Street, comprising many little courts and alleys such as Brothers Row, Harpur’s Walk, King’s Head Yard, Calcots Alley. Many of them were, in fact, the sites of earlier potteries.
The Lambeth Royal Doulton factory closed in 1956. Production was transferred to Staffordshire. However, the original Doulton headquarter office on Black Prince Road still remains. It is a listed Grade 2 building with a beautiful frontage of decorative tiling.
Sir Henry Doulton (1820 – 1897)